Tuesday, September 1, 2009

checking in - week one

Today is the end of the first five days of radiation. Oh, but yesterday was a rough one. I couldn't seem to kick this stomach pain, but this morning it was a little better. Now, my throat is starting to get sore...I slept OK which was a blessing. I woke up thinking just as I opened my eyes..."no pain" just a very dry mouth...but, eating a couple of eggs put an end to that nonsense. Nothing too deep to ponder today...I just want to get on through it. Yesterday, I couldn't even think about doing an entry, and today's is pretty lame. Kathy is driving me daily up to Omaha (another delusion I had that I would be fine to drive myself.) I'm starting to lose weight, and they don't like that. I spend years watching what I eat, and then, just when food seems nauseating, they tell me... go crazy and eat everything I can...whole milk, ice cream, lots of protein, lots of whatever sounds good. The only thing that sounds good to me today is Watermelon...I'll have some. Who knew water could taste bad? But it tastes awful...

Still doing my daily 23 psalm meditation, but not much more today. Thank you all for all your love. Really.

4 comments:

  1. Steve, praying God comforts you and holds you close. So sad you are in pain and not able to eat. I pray it is a sign the radation is getting all the bad guys and that the good guys will be winning soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve - people you'll never meet (like me) are praying for you and holding you in God's grace in their thoughts, and wishing you deep and true faith - that ability to be steadfast in knowing spiritual truth even during those times of physical weakness and/or emotional collapse - even when we can't feel it. Your sharing is a gift to the world, no matter what you have to share of this difficult process. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If my double chocolate cookies sound good, let me know. They are soft and chewy and go down easy with cold milk. One week down. God is good and He will see you through the weeks to come. You are amazing...the people you are touching with your words. I mirror their sentiments...Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,if watermelon sounds good, maybe you could make friends with fruit smoothies during this time-- the kind prepared at home with frozen fruit, juice or milk, protein powder-- whatever you can put in the blender that will give you what you need. Squeeze a little fresh lime on at the end. Sip it at whatever pace you can manage. If they aren't giving you Zofran for the nausea, give that a try. Thinking of you and praying for you day by day.

    ReplyDelete