Saturday, September 26, 2009

checking in- rambling on a weekend

I don't particurlarly feel better about myself as a person for going through this. I question myself always. But I DO feel so good about people who are using their words, their wisdom, their encouragement, their qoutes, their love to help nudge me daily toward the finish line. If I am changing at all, it is slower than anyone thinks, because I am also aware of the terrible self-pity and despair that I can conjure up for myself. But, like unexpected cake with frosting, a cup of coffee, a slice of strawberry-rhubarb pie and a bowl of fresh fruit after a fine meal, you come along and say... "this sucks, I am sorry, I feel for you, and know you can get thru it!" and you tell me that some of my words are meaningful. Just know I am refreshed by the strength and support. I can't say it enough. It is the one constant that seems real, that I do not question. Some of you I know, some of you I don't and some of you I know now in ways that I never knew you before. And, of course, Kathy is a pillar of love for me. I couldn't have made it this far without her.

There are surprises in this that no one prepared me for. How long a night can last. Some mornings I am almost delusional. For example, the other morning, after being up from 1AM to 6AM I started thinking that all my activities were being monitored by doctors in Omaha, so at least they would know how the night went, and who I spoke with during the night. One morning, I got up at 3:30AM and realized I was only given 100 more lines to write or speak until this was done. I immediately started writing a blog entry, in my head, and then tried to type it. Fortunately, I didn't hit "publish post" I think it is a combination of taking a narcotic, a sleeping pill, and still lying awake and feeling sick most of the night. I say, I am almost delusional, because the delusion passes by the time I am in the shower. Another thing I was not prepared for is how weak "feeling weak" really can be. Getting up for my 6:15 shower, even though I have been lying awake almost brings me to tears. There are mornings I wish I would just not have to face another day. (Don't worry...I am not suicidal...sir and madam, I remind you I am a psychologist! I have good insurance, and I have been in therapy with myself for nearly 30 years. I am my own longest term client.) and there is a difference in that thought and the thought that i want to be dead. What I want is to be back FROM the dead.

Here is a lovely poem...as I have mentioned...the value of a person, the value of a tree...tree of the moment --tree of my own sad, mortal heart--the value of the acorns on my window growing in a longer line.

The Oak Tree at the Entrance to Blackwater Pond
by Mary Oliver


Every day
on my way to the pond
I pass the lightning-felled,
chesty,
hundred-fingered, black oak
which, summers ago,
swam forward when the storm

laid one lean yellow wand against it, smoking it open
to its rosy heart.
It dropped down
in a veil of rain,
in a cloud of sap and fire,
and became what it has been ever since--
a black boat
floating
in the tossing leaves of summer,

like the coffin of Osiris
descending
upon the cloudy Nile.
But, listen, I'm tired of that brazen promise:
death and resurrection.
I'm tired of hearing how the nitrogens will return
to the earth again,
through the hinterland of patience--
how the mushrooms and the yeasts
will arrive in the wind--
how they'll anchor the pearls of their bodies and begin
to gnaw through the darkness,
like wolves at bones--

what I loved, I mean, what that tree--
tree of the moment--tree of my own sad, mortal heart--
and I don't want to sing anymore of the way

Osiris came home at last, on a clean
and powerful ship, over
the dangerous sea, as a tall
and beautiful stranger.

4 comments:

  1. After reading your post from yesterday, I thought of the words Jesus spoke when he said, "It is finished." I have often wondered if he was "counting down" the time until his brutal beating and crucifixion would come to an end. Did he think, "Will this EVER end?" I believe he did as he was divine AND human. And then I've wondered what was going through his mind - what emotion was exuding - when he spoke those words - "It is finished." As you count down the last days of your treatment, may you find comfort in knowing that Jesus feels your pain and knows of your longing to finally be able to say, "It is finished." Continuing to pray for you each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, I worry about keeping a level head too.

    The treatment can weaken a person both physically and mentally.

    Hang in there ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isaiah 43:2-3 "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass therough the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Isreal, your Savior;" Praying and praying for you Steve. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Change is not something we see in ourselves very quickly. Change happens as a result of having experienced something (you may not have chosen your profession had it not been for your fathers reciting that story a million times) Seeing your father reach out to that story time and time again was an experience that may have developed your interest to understand the human mind.

    Self pity is part of moving into acceptance, I have reviewed that emotion so many times. There are times we see our selves in ways we never thought we would. So much less than we expected from ourselves.

    As you slowly find how this experience allowed you to grow inside (and YOU ARE GROWING), you will have so much more to offer yourself and others (the new and improved you).

    God bless

    ReplyDelete