Thursday, September 17, 2009

checking in - a "better" day

radiation - day 16 of 35...... chemo 2nd of 3 cycles complete

A better day in that the kindly nurse found a good vein that she hit with one poke and it held up throughout the day. What a relief that was. My arms look pretty beat up. The routine got started earlier as well, so we were done by 3:30PM. Now, it's managing the nausea day by day for a few days. Tomorrow, "just" radiation. And essentially 1/2 way through that ordeal. Then, a weekend to relax, hopefully feel well enough to watch the Nebraska Cornhusker game on TV Saturday, and catch up on some sleep.

For the most part, the medical team has been caring and positive, and this has made a great difference. I hear good comments about the competence and skill of my oncologist; this too, is reassuring.

I am so relieved to have today behind me. My white blood cell count has dropped some, but it was good enough to get the green light for this round of chemo. We will see where it lands in 3 weeks. My blood pressure yesterday was 90 over 58...but it rose a little today. Other labs came back OK.

Good, good, good.

Good night, friends.

More tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. Steve,
    Glad today was tolerable. You must simply rest now and combat the nausea. Cindy D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half way there!! Hallelujah! I read your blog and think about you every day, but Thursdays are MY DAY in our meditation group to have you in my thoughts and prayers. Every Thursday morning I think about how darn fast that last week went...and then I remember that the last week might not have seemed to go so fast for you. Time is such a tricky little game isn't it? It depends on what we are doing or experiencing that gives us the feeling of time flying or dragging. I want time to fly for you. I pray for Friday (cuz I love'em) and because you will not have people poking at you all weekend. Rest up this weekend! You almost in the final stretch. God bless. Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, Great to hear that you had a better day. We are praying and pulling for you. Go Big Red.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to enter my prediction. Huskers 34 Hokies 21. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. JJJogger

    I think I'll be happy to keep awake for the whole game. Should the Hokies win, I will commiserate with a nap. Should the Huskers win, I will celebrate with a nap. Should they go into overtime,. I will miss the final score. GO BIG RED!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve,
    I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and struggles during this difficult journey. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
    MK

    ReplyDelete
  7. hugs and love from omaha today brother! reading and praying you along your three feet of pathway today. whether you wish it or not, you ar our hero! because you take each day's three feet and even find the strength to tell us a bit about it most days.. gina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm driving to North Carolina on Sunday to meet 'n greet some new healer folk... and will continue my prayers as the miles go by. Have a peaceful, placid and yet also rootin'-tootin' (for your team) weekend, my friend..... {{HUGS}} and +Blessings+ to YOU.

    ReplyDelete