Wednesday, September 9, 2009

deeper things - relax into this, hon

Day 10 radiation.

The past two days I have been feeling good enough to drive myself to Omaha. Just a sore throat, fatigue, but no nausea. Every morning, at the door to the cancer center, I get a smile and a hug from Ethel...Ethel opens the door for patients, she points people in the right direction, arranges the shuttle or valet parking for those needing assistance, etc. After my treatment today, as I was leaving, Ethel asked me how many more treatments I had left. I told her...10 down, 25 to go. She said, "Just relax into this, hon, and it will be over before you know it." I got in my car, smiling at that. Then I put in a CD of Samual Barber's Adagio for Strings...and drove off. With that music filling the car, I was already half way toward heaven; but what happened next... I was thinking "relax into this, hon..." and then the words changed, and the voice changed...and the words were the words of the prophet Isaiah; the chapter I had to memorize and sing/recite (in Hebrew) at my Bar Mitzvah in 1964.

And the words were strong and the words were clear...and yet again I was driving through tears... because the voice of Ethel somehow transformed into the voice of Isaiah, who was speaking the very words of God.

BUT THEY THAT WAIT UPON THE LORD SHALL RENEW THEIR STRENGTH; THEY SHALL MOUNT UP WITH WINGS AS EAGLES.
Isaiah 40:31


Just relax into this, hon.

7 comments:

  1. That grabs my heart somethin' fierce yet not unkindly..... and thank GOD you're hearing Isaiah and the Lord and did not drift off of the road! {semi-smirk}. I cringed the other day when you wrote, and was there an exclamation mark?, one-quarter done! I struggle to fathom what radiation is like. I barely got through the chemo.

    I also wish to disagree with your "no, not ME, courageous, no...!" Kick me. I find you courageous AND inspiring. Every. Single. Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, Good selection of a verse. That happens to be my life verse. Of course the end of the verse says something about running.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hon,
    I of course have not met Ethel but I can tell you I like her. She probably has no idea of the impact that she had on you today not to mention on me. Isn't it funny how that works. People are good. Cindy D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve That is one of the verses I had in mind to record for you. It is on one of the popular Christian songs. Love that you were able to drive to Omaha today. I am glad you didn't drift off to sleep as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. steve, just wanted to remind you i am reading and praying daily!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Steve. You transform an episode of radiation into a beautiful image that is inspirational. Thanks you for your daily dose of grace.
    I carry you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  7. i read this to tim and got choked up. the universe does conspire to help us-especially when we let it. we think about you all the time and love you!

    ReplyDelete