Tuesday, September 29, 2009

checking in- blum returns to Earth

radiation day 24 of 35

Yesterday was a moody one. So many people have been reminding me how "close" I am to the end of treatment, and I did not feel at all close to the end of anything. I wanted to pitch the acorns (I didn't) and I wanted to be grumpy (I was). I was having a fair amount of discomfort. I wanted to loudly say (I am not really able to raise my voice much above a whisper) ..."Cant you see I am no longer living in the same time zone as the rest of you "normal" people. One day can seem to last a year, and one week is like a decade. Anyway; I am back today. Two weeks from tomorrow and the radiation ends. I am sort of counting again.

The radiation oncologist tells me to try to eat and drink, or at least sip on some liquids. I look at him like he is an alien from the planet Zork...the place where one can do whatever is impossible. He looks at me like I am from the planet Dork...the place where patients are always noncompliant. It's a stalemate. He tells me if I stop swallowing food and water, it will take longer for that to come back. What does he mean..."if" I stop swallowing? I tell him every time I see him that I am NOT eating or drinking. Next time I see him, I will strike a deal...if he will eat his desk, I will drink a cup of water.

I once contemplated how I might eat a desk...over a very long period of time with a lot of sandpaper. I am sure it can be done. Lots of fiber as well, so you know it's going to help in other ways.

I am more chipper today because I did not get sick during the night. I slept propped sitting upright in bed. That helped. I am sure that getting sick when one's throat is completely swollen, burnt, radiated and raw is one of the TOP 10 most awful things to go through on any given September night. I pray none of you ever have to have that experience.

It was around 40 degrees this morning...to think, I started radiation in August!!! Tomorrow is my appt with my medical oncologist. He has implied that we are going to skip the last chemo round. If he confirms it, I will be sooooo happy. If he changes his mind...I will MAKE HIM eat his desk.

One other good bit of news...I did not drop any weight this past week. I am holding steady at 145.

6 comments:

  1. Don't burn up on re-entry to earth. :)

    Praying that these last weeks will seem like "normal" time to you.

    KBK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,
    I weighed 145 at birth. I have told you I would gladly give you a large sum of my weight if only I could. It was pretty obvious that yesterday was a moody one. If you had thrown out those acorns I was headed over. I'm glad today to see signs of your good humor and that you have started counting again. Count on this........that I will continue to pray and be here for you as you struggle these next weeks and when this is over I will make sure you get the best damn rhubarb/strawberry pie imaginable. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will add some other kind of baked goodie to that rhubarb/strawberry pie. Sounds like the beginning of some kind of feast. We continue to pray every day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm...strawberry rhubarb, mmmm... other baked goodies, mmmm a piece of toast with jam... mmm marshmallow peeps, mmm a Three Muskateers, mmmm chicken, mmmm veggies, mmmm Famous Dave's BBQ Ribs...mmm Indian food...mmm Italian food...mmm Chinese food...mmmm Mexican food...mmm...Thai food...mmm, steak and baked potatoes, mmm burgers and fries...mmm, did I say a nice piece of pie?...mmm ripe sweet juicy fruit....mmm Marinara sauce on anything....mmm a bowl of cereal at bedtime.

    (I am using some positive reinforcement for the idea of a "feast.")
    I may have to work up to it, but my mother always told me I was a "good little eater" and I will tell the oncologist that it's all his fault for taking that talent from me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you do have your sense of humor! And Cindy makes me laugh too! I was going to say I'd give my right arm to weigh 145! You're closing in on the end...and then you can pack the weight back on! I'll pray for one less chemo than expected. Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Less chemo and food and drink that sounds and tastes good. Great goals, I am praying the Lord grands you both. One day at a time, one sip at a time. Don't try the whole desk, way too big.

    ReplyDelete