Tuesday, August 25, 2009

deeper things - rescued by a psalm

Last evening, I didn’t get home until 8:30 from my office. At once, it was time for that dreaded task...60 ml. of water, shot right into my stomach, forget the mouth. Easily done...The dread, again, was in what it communicated...no... what it shouted... "your life is about to get all out of whack, drinking water this way...next stop, you will be on fire...” And then, as I was shooting that H2O ...this popped into my mind... “my cup runneth over.” At first, it seemed a silly thought, but before I could think... "I really hate doing this" ...I had this other thought...."He leadeth me beside still waters.” Not exactly the still waters that I had ever put together with that psalm, but then... but then, the words to that Psalm were flooding me, pouring over, through and into me, filling me...of course...THIS IS GOING TO BE HOW I WILL DO THIS... I will lie down, prepare this “table,” I will have to drink this way...but even in this valley of the shadow of death... "thou art with me.” I KNEW, oh my, I at once knew that I would NEVER lie down with that feeding tube again without hearing the 23rd Psalm in my mind. How can I convey this awareness...these are just letters and words, but I tell you, the hand that slowly pushes that water through that syringe is itself being gently held by the hand that is lovingly leading me through this path. And it is not cancer that is following me...it is goodness and mercy...all the days of my life!

Days until radiation...1 day ........ Days until chemotherapy...1 day

Psalm 23

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil;
my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks again, Steve. Great perspective. You are an encouragement to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, this is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, you got me big time on this one. I love your perspective. I love your imagination and I love how you love God! Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete