Monday, August 10, 2009

deeper things - Simcha




How can the love of a cat run so deep? What is it about those moments of connection that make this so powerful? I've owned dogs, and loved them, and been blessed by their happy demeanor, but there is mystery with a cat. I awoke this morning with Simcha,(Hebrew for "joy") asleep on top of me. She also made it a point to jump on top of me for 5 minutes of goodnight affection when the lights went out last night, before contentedly jumping off the bed. She is not a "lap cat" though the evening ritual is not all that unusual. I defy anyone to say pets are not sensitive to deeper things. In fact, she is always up for meditating together...she enjoys bird watching, toy mice (even better, real mice), eating bugs, drinking only from her own plastic cup on the counter (no stinkin pet bowl) chasing leaves, staring contests, walking toward one another in slow motion, competing with the morning paper for attention, sitting in high places, squeezing in cramped quarters, laying in bags and boxes, and nightly walking around in the dark with a green foam ball in her mouth, whilst simultaneously making a sound somewhere between a cry and a howl.

Here is a poem...I think it was written about Simcha...I don't know the poet, nor do I know how I came across it, but it has been in my "poetry" file for awhile

Landlocked in Fur

I was meditating with my cat the other day and all of a sudden she shouted,
“What happened?”
I knew exactly what she meant, but encouraged her to say more—
feeling that if she got it all out on the table she would sleep better that night.
So I responded, “Tell me more, dear,” and she soulfully meowed,
“Well, I was mingled with the sky. I was comets whizzing here and there.
I was suns in heat, hell—I was galaxies. But now look—I am landlocked in fur.”
To this I said, “I know exactly what you mean.”
What to say about conversation between mystics?

5 comments:

  1. Your writing and imagery and soulfulness begin my day yet again with fullness and delight. And and and. Yes yes yes. I once had a cat named "Kitka," which I believe is Ukrainian for "little girl." And in this new household, the largest ball of galactic fur is named "Skye" after a rugged isle along the west coast of Scotland. And Skye ALWAYS tells me ALL about it in undulating, moody tones. I have rarely known such a talker. Eagerly now I visit your "talks," nodding with the comments of others, perhaps a bit jealous that I too cannot come to the night of Contemplative Prayer to sit with you. I'll be sitting from here. Were I closer to make hamentaschen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skye...a great name for a mystical cat...

    Hmmm...your gives me pause...perhaps not at all what you meant, but what I heard when I read your comment...a "night" of Contemplation...yes, yes...we (a small group of 4 or so) usually "sit" for 2 20 minute sittings with a brief walking meditation between a few times a month...and then there's the weekend retreats once a year...but the idea of taking myself to a monastery for a solitary night of silent contemplation...awake, alone, with God, a candle and a mat...hmmm...I think that is now on my bucket list...of course, thousands upon thousands have done it before, and thousands will again and again...but why not now, why not me, before, well, at least early into the seven weeks of radiation/chemo. Yes, yes YES!!! Lord...why not...?

    thanks Diane for such kind words

    ReplyDelete
  3. A possible place of pilgrimage for your soulful yearnings... St. Benedict's Monastery: http://www.snowmass.org/ , where I made private retreat last summer. Are we both speaking of Centering Prayer or Contemplative Prayer, with Fr. Thomas Keating as one of its holy revivalists? You are closer to Snowmass than I am right now. (Oye, can you tell I'm half-Jewish?? What a noodge!).

    May your day and evening unfold in His Goodness and Grace, Steve....

    ReplyDelete
  4. ALl so true. One of my cats in particular likes to sit with me when I pray. And I have to say, I like it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A young minister said recently that his new puppy cared only for the food he provides him and is incapable of love. I smiled at such youthful ignorance . wondered what things God is shaking his/her head about right now,looking in on my thoughts and ideas. Laughing at the things I am,at age 50, just too young to know.

    ReplyDelete