Saturday, August 22, 2009

Deeper things - my story so far

For those of you who have just recently started reading this blog, I thought I'd catch you up on my story...

Apparently, at some point in time, I had left a door or a window in my life open just long enough for three strangers to slip in. Wolves with cute names, these...they noisily announced their presence:
“I’m CT”
“I’m Biopsy”
“Call me PET”

Just as quickly as these uninvited guests slipped in, out the back door scurried three good ol’boys that I thought were going to keep me company for years to come. These “friends” went by the names:
"Health"
"Invincibility"
"Delusions of Immortality"

Wasting no time at all, my new house guests invited a few of their pals...these went by more ominous names:

Metastasized (“call me Met”)
Tumor (“call me Tumie”)
Carcinoma (“call me...Johnny”)

Some of these had already brought in their bags and were settling in and getting all cozy in a room called “Tonsil;” others, deciding it was too crowded in there, took a room down the hall called “lymph node.”

As soon as they were good and settled in, almost in unison, a loud cry rang out through the house... "IT’S PARTY TIME.” Guests and more guests arrived by the score...faster and faster they came.

When a nice crowd had gathered, there was some grumbling...no one brought any supplies. Finally, a few volunteers came forward...

“I’ll bring the chemo” exclaimed one.
“I’ll bring radiation” piped in another.
“And I’ll poke this tap through his stomach and we’ll get this gig rolling”, a third playfully announced .

Hiding under my desk, in the back of the house, I frantically looked out the window for any signs of my old friends...a glimpse here...a shadow there...alas, they must have all gone home and left me here to face these new guests alone. Discouraged and resigned to this fate, I slowly turned back around. To my utter surprise, I spotted a few other arrivals I hadn’t even noticed, sitting by the computer...had they been there all along?

“I’m patience”
“I’m love”
“I’m compassionate friends and family”
“and I’m your faithful God”...said the one surrounded in Light.

Oh, how my heart lept at their presence!!! We sat together in silence, we prayed, we shared an embrace...and then....called all the house guests in for an announcement:

“For now, we will share this house together; there’s surprising space in here for us all. Let’s open the curtains, let in the light of morning, and greet each day as it comes. We will call this place... HOME."

and so it goes....

7 comments:

  1. Gosh Steve, we're living in the same house, or least, we're neighbors now. keep writing. There is a certain cartharsis in what I am reading. On your team-Debby H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poetry. Beautiful, succinct, spot on, subtle, wonderful. My lower self is jealous of your artistry (what a confession, eh?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Smiling, then crying, this friend is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yip that kind of describes it ... wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Kathy are such an inspirations. We love you both bunches!

    Auntie Kay and Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this post. parts of it are so familiar as i wrote a poem about how the scans made me feel and how there are "clusters of cells, celebrating" so when you used the word "party" it made me smile. it is so comforting that others have walked before me feeling such similar emotions, especially when those "others" are Godly and have a profession such as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://amy-newnostalgia.blogspot.com/2010/09/body-images.html
    here is the poem:)

    ReplyDelete