Saturday, August 15, 2009

deeper things - the swan

I don't want to say too much about this poem by Mary Oliver, because I don't want to narrow what this poem might open up in each of you...but I italicized the last three lines, because, I am beginning to catch a deeper glimpse into figuring out what beauty there is and what beauty is for and...more importantly, allowing it to change my life. How? It seems He has taken that small part of me that has dwelt among the deeper things and expanded it in all directions. It feels as if my life itself is deepening and all I have to do is trust and rest in Him and accept and allow it to happen. When one's heart is opened...it permeates everything, everywhere...

can't you feel it?



The Swan

Did you too see it, drifting, all night, on the black river?
Did you see it in the morning, rising into the silvery air -
An armful of white blossoms,
A perfect commotion of silk and linen as it leaned
into the bondage of its wings; a snowbank, a bank of lilies,
Biting the air with its black beak?
Did you hear it, fluting and whistling
A shrill dark music - like the rain pelting the trees - like a waterfall
Knifing down the black ledges?
And did you see it, finally, just under the clouds -
A white cross Streaming across the sky, its feet
Like black leaves, its wings Like the stretching light of the river?
And did you feel it, in your heart, how it pertained to everything?
And have you too finally figured out what beauty is for?
And have you changed your life?

4 comments:

  1. I love Mary Oliver's poetry, and I am, alas, a pauper in that regard.... not being a, what?, follower of poets. At many 12-Step Retreats in holy places, Fr. Tom W. would read one of her poems... first in an ordinary way, then unwrapping it morsel by morsel. I have a poem of hers about summer I can't bring myself to upload since it grates a little too deeply. Bless you for sharing this and more of you with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the poem. it got me wondering...how do we see beauty and let it change us if our hearts are dulled and unreceptive, maybe a little skeptical? what can God use, do you think,if for the time being we do not have a serious (known)medical condition?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane

    Mary Oliver is so wonderful; her poetry always moves me. She's an amazing woman. I'd love to have a cup of tea with her and just listen to her talk. It seems she has had quite a spiritual awakening as well, from the sounds of her recent writings...connecting her love of nature, and the love of Jesus...awesome. I could just post Mary Oliver poems all day and this blog would be complete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina

    Good question...I wonder...it does seem it takes a crisis or a loss sometimes to wake up to what has been right there in front of us all along. I remember thinking after my dog of 15 years died, how annoyed I had been with her always wanting to go on yet another walk...and what I would give to just be able to take her for one more jaunt around the block!!! So, truthfully, at least, in my life, pain seems to be a better teacher than comfort! Am I wrong?

    ReplyDelete