Thursday, August 27, 2009

checking in - same as it ever was

Day two was essentially a rerun of day one... radiation for the appetizer and chemotherapy for the main dish...with just a little spice added with the apparent infection from the feeding tube...I see that Doc tomorrow after radiation. A variety of nausea pills for dessert. Enough, of the details, man, just another long day.

Here's the thing...in two days...it seems like I've lived this day over and over my whole life...why does that not happen when one is on a vacation to a pleasant village or coast or continent...then...one says this after the week vacation is coming to an end..."I finally feel like I am just starting to unwind, and we have to go home tomorrow." Let me tell you, it only takes 2 days of this to feel like I've been on this visit here for years.

Through a variety of e-mails and posts...the correct statement from yesterday's post was "I was "lying" on a metal table...not "laying" on a metal table...apparently most everyone above the third grade in this country knew that but me. And the feedback was 100 percent consistent in this correction. By the way...one of the anti-nausea meds is a steroid...so we were told that irritability and sleep problems for the next few days can be expected...there...I finally have a good excuse. Our cat is hiding under the bed for the time being. And if I wind up at a Gym pumping iron at 3:00AM...move over Barry Bonds!

Here's an amazing thing....I am looking forward to my evening visit with Psalm 23...it's just an hour or so away...I will linger in that green pasture as long as I need for some real refreshment...and the short detour of irrigating that nasty feeding tube wont hardly be noticed! I'm sure this is something I will need to remind myself three weeks from now, when I might be relying on that tube for most of my nutrition, but today...I will live here...and let myself soak it all in.

2 treatment days down...33 treatment days to go.

2 comments:

  1. The longest days are those spent in hospital rooms....or those that are similar. I get a feeling that there is a web full of people out there marching along reaching out to touch you and singing "Onward Christian Soldiers". It is a good unit to be in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I told God, 'My friend, Steve, is going in deeper, Lord. Let your grace be deeper than he's ever known.' Dave sends his love and asks if he can stop in for a short visit if you happen to be there when he's at Methodist? Also, let us know if we can bring you anything as we are right down the street. FYI, while you still have your steroid enhanced appetite, our favorite New York style pizzeria is called Zio's and happens to be right across the street from Methodist hospital. Peace and Love.

    ReplyDelete