Monday, August 3, 2009

Deeper things...a poem

Tree

It is foolish
to let a young redwood
grow next to a house.
Even in this
one lifetime,
you will have to choose.
That great calm being,
this clutter of soup pots and books—

Already the first branch-tips brush at the window.
Softly, calmly, immensity taps at your life.

Jane Hirshfield


This calm immensity...when I first read the poem a few weeks before I was diagnosed, I took it for me to mean that I was not leaving enough room in my life for the important things. Now...I am wondering...is this immensity ...God...cancer...death...love...or are there a number of "redwoods" growing up around my house...asking me to choose,to notice to live with while the noticing and the choices still remain.

2 comments:

  1. We are of a similar age and era. Do you remember The Jetsons cartoon? Here is this sacred crucible of prayer, of raw beingness, of reaching out... on a blog, this THING that hangs in cyberspace connected to people with souls, dreams, and if we ask.... The Holy Spirit.

    Another site I visit is for a tiny lad (age 3?) who was born with AML. I can't get my head around that one.... but I can the faith and devotion of his parents and four other siblings. If you look up "Jaymun's Journey" you'll find it. Blogger won't let me include HTML tags (so figure!)

    Blessings to you and your family and your friends, Steve.... I'm glad we can offer prayer and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane,
    Indeed, I remember the Jetsons, and indeed...all that is in me says the Holy Spirit can traverse cyberspace at least as easily as we can. Thank you so much for your prayers...as I mentioned...it is your blog, no, it is you, that inspired me, and gave me the push to write as well. I am praying for you...this moment. I will look for"Jaymun's Journey". Thanks

    ReplyDelete