Wednesday, August 12, 2009

checking in - my day with oncologists

I will be brief here because I really want to get to a "deeper things" entry today. But I met with the oncology med doctor and oncology radiation doctor today. Here's how it goes...it's actually a stage 4A tonsil cancer which has spread to a lymph node, but not the nightmare that stage 4 usually implies. Prognosis for cure is quite good in my case. I will have a feeding tube "installed" in my stomach next week, as there may come a time in this process that even drinking water may be quite painful. Unfortuantely, the oncologist said I could not eat Pizza through a feeding tube. Hmmm...after this is all over, when the time comes...I am going to get a New York (Rays) Pizza flown in to Nebraska. Or better yet, maybe we'll fly to New York for a seven week daily dose of Rays. Sometime around week four of radiation, from the description I received, I will become aware that the lining of my throat has been burned away by radiation. Two to three rounds of chemo, each being admisnisterd over a course of two days, during week one, week four, and possibly week seven. I have a feeling pain meds and nausea meds will become my two best friends. I got fitted for a cool mask, which I will wear during radiation sessions that will allow the IMRT radiation to be targeted precisely. The process of fitting that mask did, once again, make me feel like I was in some sci.fi/horror flick. This should all be over by Halloween, so that I might wear that mask in another context (forget that...I probably will want to burn it.

that's the essentials...feeding tube placed next week, and then I wait around 5 days to begin this seven week journey.

2 comments:

  1. Steve - a message from Maddie "don't be scared of the G-Button, I have had one since I was 3 and my Mommy and Daddy feed me every day through it. It isn't so bad and if you have a Mic-Key like me, you can wear charms on the loop - just like a belly ring." "I can share my charms if you like." Prayers from the Bauer House.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Maddie

    I will try to be as brave as you. You are a sweet angel...may I share the photo of you on horseback? I have never seen such a happy girl...and can I tell the story of the gift of your beautiful hair? (or better...can you help tell it?...email me and I will post it)...it is surely worthy of a deeper thing post)

    ReplyDelete