Saturday, August 29, 2009

Deeper things- can you be happy and miserable?

For me, as yet, no. Last evening I felt miserable, as miserable as yet I've known...generally bad from head to toe, with certain stopping points in between expressing their displeasure with more strength of conviction. But, today, after a good night sleep, I feel a little less miserable, and I was worried that this would be the day chemo would really do its delayed number. So...here's my lesson for today: One doesn't need to feel well to feel happy, one just needs to feel less miserable to let some happiness flow back in. In my life I have generally felt well throughout years 1-57, so, I have only limited knowledge of this kind of happiness. Another good day, is just, well, another good day in a string of so many. It is no big cause to celebrate...but today...I feel weak, but not nauseated and not in any stomach pain...the antibiotic may be helping in that regard... today, I will enjoy living life here, and maybe even let a little happiness seep in....here's my celebration poem!!!! ENJOY!!!! (Another Naomi Shihab Nye masterpiece)

So Much Happiness

It is difficult to know what to do with so much happiness.
With sadness there is something to rub against,
A wound to tend with lotion and cloth.
When the world falls in around you, you have pieces to pick up,
Something to hold in your hands, like ticket stubs or change.

But happiness floats.
It doesn’t need you to hold it down.
It doesn’t need anything.
Happiness lands on the roof of the next house, singing,
And disappears when it wants to.
You are happy either way.
Even the fact that you once lived in a peaceful tree house
And now live over a quarry of noise and dust
Cannot make you unhappy.
Everything has a life of its own,
It too could wake up filled with possibilities
Of coffee cake and ripe peaches,
And love even the floor which needs to be swept,
The soiled linens and scratched records….

Since there is no place large enough
To contain so much happiness,
You shrug, you raise your hands, and it flows out of you
Into everything you touch. You are not responsible.
You take no credit, as the night sky takes no credit
For the moon, but continues to hold it, and to share it,
And in that way, be known.

~ Naomi Shihab Nye ~

10 comments:

  1. This is a magnificent poem, emerging from your own admitted misery... held by love and rubbing against the sharp edges. Today as well I shift between both in a muddy slow motion....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We spoke about you last night as we were getting ready for bed. How there is a certain sadness of knowing that another is in pain, and there is nothing tangible to be done to help lessen it- or shorten the journey ahead. So we shared a moment of sorrow and then held hands and turned all of it to God in prayer for you. Steve, you are loved and prayed for; by many, many people. In some way we hope this truth and reality can bring you some comfort.
    M & M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, thank you for this wonderful poem and for the creative and physical energy you are putting into your writing. God bless your humor, insight, and honesty. God bless your strength. God bless Kathy. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you a hug. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve, I feel similar to a broken record. That is, thanks again for sharing your heart. Your thoughts continue to be challenging, encouraging, and humbling. I am blessed by your comments. God bless you richly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bread machine is kneading the bread I am "making" for you. Instead of putting my efforts into the production of the bread, I am praying for your physical and spiritual strength. This all sounds quite sucky (I'm not nearly as poetic as your other bloggers), so I know it must be taking every bit of your energy to stay upbeat and positive. I am glad the prayers and the poetry are helpful. I will drop the bread by later today on this beautiful, blessed summer(?) day. Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  8. "One of the most sublime experiences we can ever have is to wake up feeling healthy after we have been sick."--Rabbi Harold Kushner
    This quote expresses the gratitude I felt after a prolonged illness, one that spanned years actually. You too will have that sublime, blissful feeling when you are finished with all this. You will have good health and it will mean more than the last 57 years of good health could have ever meant. I do think that is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have held you close in my heart during meditation and prayed for you during mass and hope you feel the love sent to you throughout each day. May all of the love you receive from everyone bring you some comfort. May you find peace in surrendering to what is and may you Christ be your constant companion.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  10. A poem to share:

    A Commitment to Hope

    I honor my hope and give it my best energy.
    I keep my eyes on my hope and do not let it out of my sight.
    I listen to my hope and respect what it teaches me.
    I stand strong in my hope and trust in its possibilities.
    I become one with my hope and cherish its prescence.

    ReplyDelete