Thursday, October 8, 2009

checking in - you KNOW you're tired when...

Radiation day 31 of 35

...you fall asleep standing up while brushing your teeth.

Yes, a new lesson learned. The last pill I could take orally was Ambian...a sleeping pill. It was small, but swallowing it has become very painful, so I stopped taking it orally. We got a pill crusher and mixed it with a little water, and I shot it into my stomach. The lesson learned is that that needs to be the very last thing one does for the evening. I, on the other hand, decided to take the sleeping pill before brushing my teeth. I then went into our bathroom, and apparently (I have no recall), Kathy, who was also getting ready for bed, looked over at me and I was asleep with the toothbrush in my mouth, standing in front of the sink, drooling like a baby. I had no idea that one could actually fall asleep standing up, and pretty much stay asleep as I was helped into bed.

So, that about sums it up. Pain and fatigue. It will be a long weekend. But it will be the last weekend, on this side of radiation. Then, praise God, three more days next week and I move into the next phase of the journey. I don't have good days anymore, but occasionally, I have a good hour. And, every good hour means another hour less of this left. I don't think I have any good ideas anymore either, so these posts are becoming repetitive and boring. I feel like apologizing. I know that is silly.

I am really quite sick and fed up with all this, if you know what I mean. Enough is enough. Yes, I know, just a few more days. Self-pity is soaring today to hights of grandeur. I think it might be at record levels. Call Guiness. This may be my way into that book (I thought I might be able to set the record for eating the most Marshmallow Peeps in an hour, but this would be a sure thing.)

Nebraska football tonight...I'll watch and try to lose myself in the game. Sitting down.

5 comments:

  1. Steve,
    I can't even begin to imagine. I hope you feel my love and prayers coming your way because they are in constant flight. I'm glad the Ambien is at least putting you to sleep. For what it is worth I am learning from you each and everyday. I am in awe of the feelings and thoughts that you write about. I think from day one I knew you were special. I'm so honored to call you my friend. Try and cheer on the Huskers if you can. If not sail into slumber. Love ya, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Cindy's sentiments. I can't add anything to what she said. We continue to pray often for strength and a sense of God's presence. I hope the Huskers pull one out in Columbia, thus providing at least a little cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God for drugs and the ability to sleep. Counting down with you...
    and if you are still watching the Huskers...well, look at the bright side, at least you'll be done with radiation soon. Love. Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying constantly for your comfort and healing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Continuing to pray for God to comfort you, give you rest and peace, and minimize your pain. You are SO close to being finished! Hang in there

    ReplyDelete