Monday, October 5, 2009

checking in - clarification

a brief post script to my sandwich post (Oct 3) ...though the TV show featured Katz's deli and the Stage Door deli...my personal favorite is the Carnegie Deli...here is the real deal...a Carnegie Deli sandwich... and it tastes as good as it looks...this one is a genuine Carnegie Deli corned beef and pastrami sandwich. (I think it's called the "Woody Allen" on the menu.) That, along with a Knish (with lots of mustard), a pickle, and a piece of New York cheesecake...and you will understand that New York is the birthplace and rightful home of all Delis ...(Not that I'm biased, you west coast readers!). A little pricey for a sandwich, until you realize you can eat leftovers for a week! Actually, the photo only shows 1/2 a sandwich. I know a few readers who have eaten with me at the Carnegie, and if you care to comment...do so below.) Actually, New Yorkers have never forgiven Los Angeles for stealing the Brooklyn Dodgers, either.


Pastrami & Corned Beef Sandwich: "

Pastrami & Corned Beef Sandwich ($17.95) from Carnegie Delicatessen & Rstrnt in New York, NY uploaded by Graphracker"

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Steve, we have friends in common. Love the Carnegie Deli, especially for the chicken soup and the turkey sandwich. And bagels... they're the shape of angel halos for a reason. For me, Essa Bagel is the center of the bagel universe, and yes, eating their cream-cheese-slathered goodness sandwich style is the only way, washed down with sips of Essa Bagel's excellent coffee. Here's to the delis and the bagels awaiting you.--Peg S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessed brother in Christ, I can only offer my most profoundly compassionate support for the pain you experience in knowing that some of the best and brightest fellow New Yorkers felt called to live in southern California...... :-)

    My White Russian Jewish father learned to speak English in Brooklyn and then came out West. Oye!

    I'm dreaming of hamentaschen......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peg...I've never been to Essa Bagels, but I will make it a stop on my next trip to NY.

    Diane...suggesting to someone from NY to have a deli feast in LA is like telling someone from Rome to come to Kansas for a good plate of Italian food, or telling someone from Mexico that they have really good tacos in Idaho...or telling someone in Colorado they should try the skiing in Nebraska!!! . (Hamentaschen are indeed worthy of dreaming about). That's OK...you have Hollywood and Disneyland... I hope you can get to NY someday to really experience deli!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,
    I did enjoy every bite of that Woody Allen at the Carnegie Deli. We had such a good time. However I absolutely hands down love Ray's Pizza and the Creme Brulee at Tavern on The Green. I can't remember what dessert you had but I remember it had quite an impact on you. Don't you fret, the good times, good food etc. are coming around the corner. Cd

    ReplyDelete