Friday, October 9, 2009

checking in - seeing some light

Radiation day 32 of 35


I am beginning to think I am going to get through this, and no matter how miserable I may feel, it is just today; the light looming ahead is huge. Actually, I think I am coping with the misery pretty well today. No trips to Omaha until Monday, and then, only three more days of radiation. Wow. I am trying to keep my meds ahead of the pain, and it's been a bit better in that regard.

It was a fun football game last evening (at least the fourth quarter) and the night before, a fun Nebraska volleyball game was televised. And we are in baseball playoff season...our team (the Cubs) will have to wait another year. We are going to root for the Twins. Of course, I am also coming to the realization that I probably will never play professional baseball. Actually, truth be told, my present illness is just an excuse...I probably wouldn't have made the pros even if I had stayed healthy...you don't see many 57 year old Rookies these days. But...I can still wonder...what if....

I remember playing softball on the street in front of my house growing up with some kids from the neighborhood: Arthur, Bob, Glenn, Jimmy, Ralph and myself. NO one had ever hit the ball over the top telephone wire straightaway center (which, by the way, straightaway center is about the extent of the field when you play on the street.) The street also was the entrance to the Wantagh Parkway, which took people to Jones Beach and the ocean....which meant about one pitch and then three cars passed before one could throw the next pitch, but we would play for hours. Well, this particular day, I was standing in the outfield, and Arthur finally did it...he connected like Mickey Mantle, and launched a high fly ball well over the top phone wire...which meant it carried on a fly into the woods next to the Parkway entrance...I ran into the woods with my back to Home Plate (a piece of cardboard) and with my glove extended out in front of me...(to keep from running into trees) I blindly ran to where I thought the ball would come down...and Voila...pure luck...the ball came down through the trees and landed in my glove as if it were done with magnets and special effects. I thought Arthur might come after me with the bat. But secretly, years later, I saw a tape of Willie Mays making the same catch, but he didn't have to deal with trees in the outfield. By then, though, I realized I was going to play second base on the Mets, so I wasn't all that excited. Of course, I never played Little League, or school sports, so my life as a Major League ballplayer was pure fantasy. Replaced a few years later, by my realization that I was going to be the next Bob Dylan. I didn't know how I would pull off two careers of such fame and notoriety, but...I could do concerts in the off season, and play for the Mets and record studio albums during the regular season.

When Bob Dylan became a Christian in late 80's or early 90's...I realized...after all these years, wouldn't you know it, he was trying to steal my life!!!

I am feeling grateful again, and marching...well, at least crawling...toward the finish line.

2 comments:

  1. Steve, great to read your blog again. Hey how about them Huskers. Pretty exciting stuff. A lot of drama. Fun game to watch. I am feeling some excitement for you. We will celebrate for you when you cross the finish line of the last of the radiation treatments. What a long arduous journey. You continue to be a real encouragement to us. Thanks so much. In my fantasy world I wanted to be the greatest detective who would always nab the bad guy. Not quite as exciting as playing for the Mets or being a famous musician. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed you made it all the way through the game. What an amazing night of football. I just got home from the Southeast-Southwest football game--major rival of ours--and WE WON!! Two nights of great football!! I'm so glad you continue to have a sense of humor...and that you see you the light at the end of the radiation tunnel. Hope to see you very soon!!

    ReplyDelete