Friday, October 23, 2009

checking in- in the right direction, at a snail's pace

The last two days have been generally marked by slight overall improvement, but with ups and downs. It is still a half a week early for "noticeable" gains, and so I try not to let a few good hours color my expectations...invariably, part of the day is marked by feeling weak, sick, and miserable. I hate this word, but the "mucositis" is the most difficult symptom to live with right now, and it is what keeps me up a good part of the night, wearing the carpet out back and forth from the bed to the bathroom. I feel an almost continual need to...spit...and the relief only lasts a minute or two...then it's back again. TMI...sorry. But today, for the first time, I have been able to swallow with only moderate, not excrutiating pain. The swelling must be going down in my throat...that is a good sign. I was able to put a few ice chips in my mouth for the first time. Not that the terrible taste didn't still permeate that, but I was able to tolerate it. Who knows, food and drink may be on the horizon. I am also using less narcotic and a smaller patch for the last few days, and so I have felt more alert.

The sitting at home all day is really wearing on me... if i felt the energy to "do" something...anything...it wouldn't be so bad...but that energy is just not back yet. So I feel bored, lonely, isolated and the "D" word. Our cat Simcha sleeps all day under the bed...it is not as good a life as I once thought. She comes out around 4PM and starts paying attention to me for her 5:12 feeding. (Yes, 7:00AM, 5:12PM, and 9:12PM) She has an amazing internal clock. When Kathy comes home, both Simcha and I feel much better.

I want so much to get to the point where I am writing about the great day I had and the food I ate, and the enjoyment of returning to work...for half-days at the start...I know those days will arrive, like I know a snail eventually gets where it's going.

3 comments:

  1. Steve,
    I think it is time for me to intervene. I will be by next week. Being home in that house all day and thinking and worrying and thinking and worrying can't be helping with the "D" word. I have missed our conversations and the guidance that you have graciously given me over the years. I will call before I come and I won't stay long. I might suggest that you not watch the Husker game. That can really lead to the big "D"! Love ya, Cindy D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve and Kathy, Hey, great to talk to you tonight. Hearing your voice was encouraging. Unlike Cindy D, I think the Huskers will give us all a boost this weekend. Go BIG RED!! Take care and God bless. Hopefully tomorrow will be even better than today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,
    I just watched the game. The Big "D" has set in for me. Cd

    ReplyDelete