Wednesday, October 14, 2009

checking in - a window full of acorns and pine cones

RADIATION DAY 35 OF 35!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PRAISE GOD!!!




YES, YES, I AM DONE WITH THAT INSANE TREATMENT.







Here are 4 pine cones, representing 4 days of radiation & chemo together
and 31 acorns, representing 31 days of radiation alone. 35 days that felt like 35 lifetimes.

What I was sure would never come to an end has just come to an end!

I am VERY happy about that (yes, you CAN be happy and miserable.)

I am miserable in my body...and the oncologist told me to expect no meaningful change for at least a week, and not much noticeable change during the second week, but week 3 of healing I should NOTICE a difference, and then make some rapid gains from then on out until the healing is complete. He told me it is not unrealistic to expect a total "cure," but the final PET scan is not done until January, and at that point, we will know for sure.

I am feeling such relief...now, I just need to keep everything going (meds, fluids, nutrition, rest). He wants me to start sipping on Boost...he said to take an extra dose of Hydrocodone,and then wait a half hour, and take a sip or two...maybe I will do that tomorrow...today, I am going to NOT do anything that causes more pain.

Thanks to all of you hanging in there with me. I will keep checking in, and, God willing, the posts will not be so miserable. There have been days that I hoped no one would read the blog because there were some really discouraging days when I just didn't feel like getting out of bed...but I wanted to be honest with what I was going through, and for the most part, I think I've done a reasonably decent job at that. There have been moments of tremendous gratitude and love as well, and there, too, I think I've done reasonably well reflecting that in what I have written. Now, it's time to spend the rest of the day relaxing and reminding myself that I don't have to go back to Omaha in the morning!

I was asked if I want to take home my radiation "Mask"...Kathy reminded me this is a "G" rated blog...so I can not say the exact words I used, but the answer roughly translated to..."no, thank you, I would like never to see that piece of equipment again."

12 comments:

  1. **HALLELUJA!!!!!!!!! **

    Oh THANKS be to GOD!

    Hugs & yips from Wilkesboro NC
    Your Moving Target Praying Friend Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooooooo happy you are finished! We have been praying daily for you and will continue to do. May you continue to feel God's presence and the love and support of family and friends as your body begins the healing process. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,
    I'm so happy this radiation ordeal is over for you. Now on with the healing. God Bless. Cd

    ReplyDelete
  4. The finish line has arrived. Happy day. A race well run!! We are very happy for you. Now the healing process. We continue to pray regularly. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hallelujah!! let the healing begin... Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Steve!! Jim may run marathons, but I'm sure what you have endured beats anything most of us have ever attempted. You have managed this ordeal with GRACE and now that you are at the finish line, rest, healing and comfort are your only tasks. Thanks for sharing your journey. You have been such an inspiriation whether that was what you intended or not! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joy for you, joy to you, joy in you! Thank the Lord! --Peg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Balls of Fire!!! You are free, free at last. No kidding, you have been through the fire. Let the healing begin. We'll double the prayers that your suffering will lessen faster than you think.I have used your acorn idea with our grandson to help him get through his last year of work and school except I suggested he put a quarter a week in a jar until he graduates.
    You help people in ways that you cannot know, Steve. May God's strength and love get you through this ordeal. Auntie Kay

    ReplyDelete
  9. YEEEE-HAAAAWWWWWW! Thinking of you often and very glad today that you are no longer being actively tortured :)
    jeff

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew you could do it. Praise God it is over. Prayers will continue for fast healing and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Last night I said to Dave: "Know what today was? Steve's LAST DAY OF RADIATION !!!" We smiled . When you start eating again I am cooking something off the hook for you! MY shoulders feel so much lighter today.I cannot imagine YOUR relief! Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

    ReplyDelete