Thursday, November 19, 2009

deeper things - Thanksgiving

I had naively believed that since my radiation/chemo was complete on October 14th, I would be ready to chow down, if not by my birthday (Nov. 5), than surely by Thanksgiving... well, beyond one egg and a few bites of pudding, both equally tasteless and unpleasant, I have yet to make it beyond a bottle (of also completely tasteless to me) ENSURE. So...this year, I must postpone eating a Thanksgiving banquet, but NOT the Thanksgiving...I have tears in my eyes as I type this...God has given me an opportunity to focus on the "thanks-giving" part of this holiday, instead of the food-feast...never before, (and God-willing, never again) will that be the case. Yes, dear Steven, what an opportunity...I'll have Turkey, Pumpkin Pie, etc. next year...

BUT THIS YEAR...I WILL SIMPLY FOCUS ON GIVING THANKS!!!!!!

Without my mouth-watering...without one eye on the mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes and dressing and pie and cranberry sauce...just striving to keep my heart on being thankful...and...yes,I feel like I've been through hell, but that does not diminish all I have to be thankful for today...

I think I can pull it off...I am going to practice daily this week so that by Nov. 26 I'll be in shape. No self-pity, (or at least, not much self-pity) and no regrets...just a prayer of thanks in my heart...to God, for blessing me so abundantly with so much! I couldn't begin to adequately thank Him for all He has blessed me with...here...this prayer captures it better...

... a prayer of thanksgiving:


Though our mouths were full of song as the sea,
and our tongues of exultation as the multitude of its waves,
and our lips of praise as the wide-extended firmament;
though our eyes shone with light like the sun and the moon,
and our hands were spread forth like the eagles of heaven,
and our feet were swift as hinds,
we should still be unable to thank thee and bless thy name,
O Lord our God and God of our fathers,
for one thousandth or one ten thousandth part of the bounties
which thou has bestowed upon our fathers and upon us.

~from the Hebrew Prayer Book

7 comments:

  1. Always remember that behind every cloud, the sun is still shining and the sky is still blue. So shall it be for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to sitting next week. It has been forever!! Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  3. your gratitude amazes and humbles me...i will think of you on thanksgiving day. also thanks for the beautiful prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also give thanks... FOR you (God's action in your life) and for YOU (your example of Christ to us); thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    M & M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve,
    Thanksgiving Dinner is high in carbs and Turkey is dry and boring. Okay so........at least I'm trying to help. cd

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve and Kathy,
    I can only imagine the mixed feeling you all are having about celebrating Thanksgiving. On the one hand meeting to have Thanksgiving dinner holds a little different feeling this year. But on the other hand meeting to give thanks for your continued healing will have much more meaning. I hope you continue to get stronger every day. You both are in my heart and prayers.
    Love,
    Auntie Kay
    HAPPPY THANKSGIVING!!

    ReplyDelete