Saturday, November 28, 2009

checking in - how I spent Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was what it was. I spent most of the day lying on the couch with the TV on. We took a short trip south (30 minutes) to see my step-daughter Amy, her husband David, and grandkids Tanner, Rilie, Averi and Ashton on their acreage. It is always a blessing to spend time with them, and I am grateful beyond words to have such loving family. I only lasted about an hour before I felt a need to return to my cacoon and rest. It was a bit difficult to watch everyone eating desserts of many kinds, an activity I normally revel in with reckless abandon, but since I have no appetite, it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I continue to struggle with caloric intake; most days I wind up with about 1400 calories, primarily from drinking 4 cans of Ensure. Not quite enough to even maintain weight, but I'm not too big on pushing myself beyond my comfort level, even when I need to. Yesterday I thought about trying Turkey salad with lots of mayo...the texture was just too much and too unpleasant to get more than a bite down. The only food so far that I seem to be able to tolerate more than a bite of is Jello.

Watched the Huskers beat Colorado, which is always a satisfying event. Next Saturday, the Big 12 Playoff; it would take a bit of a miracle for Nebraska to play close with Colt McCoy and Texas, and I'm reserving my miracle requests for other things.

Today (Saturday) was supposed to be dedicated to gift shopping...we didn't fight the crazy shoppers for doorbusters; however, I am feeling so little energy today that the thought of walking about from store to store is overwhelming. Kathy has taken the task on herself, list in hand, as I type this. I am so thankful she is so willing to be such a help-mate, and she helps without complaint or the least bit of negativity...me, on the other hand...negativity seems all of a sudden to be on the tip of my tongue ready to be displayed to anyone who wants to hear of my woes. I usually try to hold that part of my tongue, but like everything else in my mouth...it's all messed up. (See...there I go!!!)

So, if I were grading my project to be Thankful without food on Thanksgiving...I'd get a C-. And that would be only if I were a generous grader. Lord, forgive me. Now, I am going to have to start working on my Christmas spirit! Oy, vey.

We did decide to perhaps have a Turkey dinner with all the fixins on the fourth of July. Why not? Surely by then.....

No comments:

Post a Comment