Sunday, December 6, 2009

checking in- snap, crackle and pop

Today, I surprised myself and ate a (small) bowl of Rice Krispies for breakfast. It actually tasted a bit like Rice Krispies, and the small cup of tomato soup I had for lunch actually tasted a bit like tomato soup. I have enjoyed both these items very much in the past; when I was 12, I discovered that there was no legal prohibition against eating cereal at times of the day other than breakfast; one could also eat cereal for a late night snack. I believe it was Rice Krispies that provided my first late night bowl of cereal. I will take my small victory as a sign of better days ahead. Very cold and snowy today...the cold really chills me to the bone. For you non-Nebraskans (everyone in Nebraska would know this) last night the Cornhuskers lost a heartbreaking nearly huge upset to third ranked Texas in the Big 12 championship game...Nebraska had the lead with 00.01 left on the game clock, and the last second actually ticked off on the TV shown clock, but the second was restored to the clock and Texas kicked a winning field goal....owwwwww....too painful...but at least Nebraska, with its incredible defense, played with Texas throughout the game and kept it neck and neck. For you Texas readers (there are 2 or 3 of you ...thank you for reading...my silent encouragers...it has meant a lot to me) congratulations...and good luck in the national title game.

In honor of my success at breakfast, here is a classic Rice Krispies ad from the 60's

5 comments:

  1. THAT is one incredible commercial link! (The Dad looks familiar...must've been a character actor of the times).

    I am SO GLAD your sense and appreciation of TASTE are returning. What a slog, Steve..... and I keep half-Jewish mothering you in my mind by thinking such thoughts as, "I'll send him a recipe for that smoothie I think would really help him." Did Steve ASK for this? Nooooo.... so I'll try to work my Alanon program and mind my own business..... oye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remembered the lyrics "My tears will never stop 'til I hear snap, crackle, pop!" but I forgot the entrance of the mother-in-law with the cereal and the news of her prolonged stay. Wonderful. Brings to mind the Quaker Puffed Oats ad with the canons going off and a male chorus singing, "This is the cereal that's shot from guns..." to the tune of the 1812 Overature. Thanks for good news about your inklings of taste, and a reminder of childhood fun (where lack of taste was a factor in a much different way)...--Peg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the tasteful improvements :)

    Also, thanks for the TV ad...it took me back a few years!!

    Hope you are staying in and and staying warm, keep layering!!

    Continuing in our prayers....
    Blessings,
    M & M

    ReplyDelete
  4. !! I still sometimes burst out with "No more Rice Krispies!" in an operatic voice...people just look at me, then turn away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve,
    Glad to hear the Rice Krispies and soup are beginning to taste the way they are supposed to! You're going tin the right direction... and thanks for including the ad; great fun to watch. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete