Tuesday, January 5, 2010

checking in - Ben Franklin

Here is my quote of the week...

"Energy and persistence alter all things."
- Benjamin Franklin

I feel myself regaining energy now, and it is a blessed relief. Persistance I am still learning, but as less of a novice... The repertoire of foods I am eating is slowly broadening, but eating is not enjoyable due to lack of salivary function. I am faintly tasting food, but, oddly, sometimes that comes and goes. Persistance.

Energy is such a good thing, and it's another of the many things I have learned to not take for granted. It's absence makes everything else seem such a burden. I realize I still have quite a way to go, as a walk from one end of the mall to the other last week wore me out. But, comparatively speaking, I am feeling noticeably more energetic than a few weeks ago. I need to start exercising and rebuild some strength. I can walk back and forth down a long hallway in my office building between clients. It's 200 steps round-trip, so about 12 round trips would equal a mile...unless my calculations are all screwy, which is quite possible. Dropping 30 pounds included some muscle mass, I am afraid.

Two weeks from today...the scans...that's all I'll say about that for now.

It's not cold here...it is frigid...and we have mountains of snow, and the rest of this week promises more of the same. Everyone here says "it's like an old-fashioned Nebraska winter" and, well, I HATE IT. We are forecast for 15 below zero and wind chills in the area of -35 to -45 degrees and more snow as the week goes on. I thought glaciers were melting in the Arctic for crying out loud....what's going on here?

5 comments:

  1. Good to hear that you continue to experience steady progress. We will certainly be praying for your exam in two weeks. Anxious moments. I think we will have to pull the super thermal, long, heavy duty, underwear for a couple of days. On the bright side next weeks looks slightly better. At least some 2o degree temps. Something to which we can look forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many years ago I went to Australia at this time of year. In Cairns it was 120 F. and muggy. You can't get naked enough to deal with that. However I wish you salivary recovery, luscious warmth and the continued able heart you show us over and over again! xoxoxo Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old-fashioned schmold-fashioned-- this is the worst winter I can remember in Nebraska. It is to hate, beautiful though it can be to look at. I'm delighted you are able and willing to expand your menu. I hope flavors make a permanent return soon. I pray that you can continue to summon persistance and energy, and that the rewards are swift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this winter won't be forgotten soon, but I must say my teenager is enjoying it. Her mantra this year has been "LML", Love My Life. Ha!! So easily pleased she is. She won't be lovin' it when we have to make these days up at the end of summer. Oh well..we'll enjoy the present moment of staying in our jammies all day and not worrying about having to go out in the frigid cold.

    I'm glad to hear that you are gaining energy--it is a process, I am sure. I hope that soon you can TASTE!! That is my prayer for you. Stay positive...and maybe we can see you soon? All my love. Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve- sounds like you are doing great, despite the arctic blast...will be praying for favorable results on the upcoming scan ...stay calm, keep getting stronger...we're all behind you...bruce g.

    ReplyDelete