Tuesday, January 12, 2010

checking in - blueberries, sunshine, exercise, laughter, God



Regaining one's sense of taste is an odd thing. Some foods continue to be tasteless, some foods are OK, some have an unpleasant taste, and some foods the taste is just a vague hint of flavor that comes and goes. Even something as sweet as canned peaches some days is essentially tasteless. But I was delighted to discover blueberries tasted really good to me. I've been eating them on cereal every morning...cheerios, fiber one, wheat chex, bran flakes (and rice krispies when I can't get to sleep at night)...and I have been eating them with cottage cheese...and they taste good every time. Spaghetti and meat sauce was not bad, but I needed a lot of sauce to get the pasta down. Can one add blueberries to marinara??? Last night, I attempted to eat some Chinese take out food...I kept my order wimpy...snow peas chicken and won ton soup...figuring I would start rather bland. The fried rice and crab rangoon that went with the order were too dry and I gave up on those after one or two bites, as a voice in my head said..."have you forgotten you don't have saliva to slide this down?" But I ate the soup and about half the chicken dish. The texture of chicken is still unpleasant, but I am working on eating food, pleasant or not. I have yet to experience "hunger" and I eat because I should, not because I feel like it...with the exception...maybe...of blueberries. I have halted my weight loss, and even have gained one pound. I am also starting to drink water...again...not because of thirst or taste, but because I really need to. I also force myself to drink three bottles of Ensure plus daily...I long for the day when I am consuming enough real food that I can ban Ensure from our fridge for life.

We are forecast to get above freezing today for the first time in many weeks, and it sounds like we might even be in a warming trend which will get us above 40 in the next week or so...another cause for celebration...warmer weather makes me feel happy.

I began carrying my pedometer again, and I try to walk a mile (indoors) at my office every few days. I also am lifting some very, very light weights to try to regain some arm strength. Boy, did I lose strength....

Last night we watched some dumb sitcom...but a comment was made that cracked me up. One of those laughs that bring tears to your eyes. And I realized that that might have been my first laughing since August. Note to myself....I am waking up from this nightmare...there are moments to be enjoyed right here right now.

And finally, and firstly...I am again feeling more connected with God, and His love for me and my love for Him. I am reading scripture daily and seeing Him moving again in my life. I know He has never abandoned me, but I think I had abandoned Him for awhile...and of course, He is, as always, full of grace, forgiveness, mercy, love.

So...a week from today is that big day...and at least for right now...His grace is sufficient for me...let's have some blueberries!

11 comments:

  1. Bless the blueberries! They're such wonderful food anyway, full of nutrients and immune system boosters, and they're delicious to boot. God understands better than anyone every aspect of what you were going through. Nothing can separate any of us from the love of God, as you most profoundly know. Thanks for an essay that brings joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessed post, Steve! I am so heartened! That's all. You've said it all as will many of your wonderful friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, great to hear that things continue to maintain a slow upswing. Blueberries are not a bad place to start. They are wonderful, and I am glad they taste good for you. For certain, we will be praying that your little meeting with the doctor next Monday goes well. God bless you for your continued sharing of both the ups and downs. That is real life. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve- your uplifting entry just provided a great start to this day, as well as helping to remind me that God does indeed provide. will keep you in thought as your big day next week approaches....for now, am sure there is a blueberry muffin w/my name on it somewhere up on 3rd floor breakroom...take care...Bruce g

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to read this post. As I was reading, I caught myself smiling because I could hear you telling this in words instead of reading what was written. During some recent study of the Book of Daniel, God has been revealing to me His desire that I not just love Him, but that I love Him MOST and FIRST. The lives of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego are proof that even if God does not deliver us FROM something, He will deliver us THROUGH it. He was with them in the fiery furnace. He has been and continues to be with you during your cancer treatment. Thanks for sharing. May your connection to God continue to be strengthened.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What good news Steve! Praise the Lord for blueberries. I am praying for your Dr. appointment. Keep up the good, and difficult work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve,
    It is great to see you improving with each and every day. What a journey this has been. I'm pulling for you next week. I have nothing but good vibs. Love, Cd

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so delighted to hear that food is becoming a part of your life again! Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? You must...maybe you will be inspired to eat Julia Childs yumminess! I am still hoping to hear from you when you are ready for a quick cup of tea. I know this has been a hellacious journey for you...but you are strong!! "Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit." - Bern Williams You're doing great...keep up your hard work. Love, Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't responded in ages - and saw you last Sun. but did not get a chance to speak. I'm glad the blueberries taste good (and smile because I really, really dislike them - now I realize what a luxury it is to dislike something based on taste!). As for giving up on God...well, he is always there waiting when we come back. xoxoj

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know that today is the big appointment for you. We want to assure you that we are praying for you, especially today. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm working with Fiber One, and we're having a yogurt samaplign promotion in WEstfield Trumbull Mall at 5065 Main Street Trumbull, CT 06611 from 2/12/10 - 2/14/10 and Pentagon City Mall at 1100 S Hayes St Arlingon, VA 22202 from 2/19/10 and 2/21/10. You can also get 75 cents off with a print-out of a coupon that can be found here: http://www.fiberone.com/Product/yogurts.aspx. Blog and tweet about this promotion to your family and friends living in the area, do not miss it!

    ReplyDelete