Friday, June 18, 2010

deeper things - musical interlude -

Winding down...the last video I posted was a video from a "poetry slam." I am greatly impressed by the talent that writing and performing a poetry slam requires. Here is one of the best I have heard. It's a poem about Beethoven. If after hearing it (or instead of hearing it)...you care to listen to a snippet of Beethoven, I have also included a video of a recording of a movement from the 9th Symphony. If music is capable of eliciting powerful emotion, and we know that it is...I contend that there has never been a more powerful piece of music written than Beethoven's 9th symphony. Of course, as in my enjoyment of poetry, I have no real formal music background; I just love Beethoven's 9th. Ode to joy!!!! Can anything top that? Just listen to this guy's poem about Beethovan, and then listen to a performance of Beethoven himself. What magic, what music! Go ahead...listen...you can hear them both in about 10 minutes...there is nothing on TV right now anyway! Oh, listen... you can hear tears, you can hear laughter...I don't know anything, but the poem and the music inspire me...happy day...happy summer! To hear a good symphony orchestra play the complete 9th symphony, sitting with eyes closed and heart open...one feels transported to heaven!



1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Steve-- worth listening, watching, experiencing, this outpouring of genius and ecstasy!

    ReplyDelete