Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Deeper things - GOD DOESN'T WASTE PAIN

The title of this post reflects one of the most profound statements I have encountered. I would like to claim it as my own original thought, but, truth be told, I heard it from a friend I met when I was consulting a few years ago at a local private college. Jackie, a senior at this college, had lost her boyfriend (fiance?), a fellow college student who died suddenly after collapsing during a pick-up basketball game with a couple of other students. He had an undiagnosed heart defect which led to his heart attack. The entire college was stunned with the loss of this gentle, loving, compassionate, godly and popular student, though, obviously, none more deeply than Jackie. When I recently heard Jackie say "God doesn't waste pain," it was as if God Himself were tapping me on the shoulder and saying, "...get it?"

God doesn't waste pain.

Oh, how that has helped me make sense out of Romans 8:28 ("...all things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose"). How that statement has helped me make sense of my own ordeal with cancer!

What amazing lessons God has taught me through this cancer journey. Sometimes, as I was walking through "the valley of the shadow of death" my vision was clouded by despair and pain. Sometimes it was clouded by fear. Sometimes it still is. But more strongly than ever, I can say, "thou art with me" and mean it.

Since, God willing, I am winding this blog down (July 31 will mark one year since I started this blog, and a fitting time to bring it to a close), I have been reflecting on a few of the entries that meant the most to me. The entry from August 2009, entitled "Six Amazing Words" was one of them. Of course, you faithful readers remember, but for the one or two who don't, the six amazing words were "Your love is better than life" from Psalm 63. The verse came to me loudly and clearly as I was driving to pick up some Chinese food a week after being diagnosed with cancer. At that time, the edge of anxiety and the thought about the possibility that my own life could succumb to cancer was just starting to make it's way into my brain. The verse from Psalm 63, one that I was not really aware that I had memorized, was a soothing balm.

So, here are four amazing words...not a verse from scripture, but I believe words that could have come from the very heart of God...

God doesn't waste pain.

In love, He uses it to bring forth something new and awesome...

Did not Jesus, Himself, for the joy set before Him, endure the cross...?

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it interesting how the body of Christ works? I came to you for help. I'm honored and thankful Steve. There is so much to experience, I pray that your pain will take you even deeper in to that.
    -jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, Profoundly challenging. I have moments of understanding that concept, but I would have to honestly say that they are in the minority. If a person could live in that truth, without a doubt, it would transform ones life. Thanks again for being such an encouragement to LIVE a victorious Christian life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that you will consider starting a different blog, with your day to day thoughts. We have so enjoyed your posts, it would be sad if you stopped altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo the last post - I'd be so sad to not be able to share morsels of your life like this (and not everyone's on Facebook).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes very true God will take care of every one and listen every body pain.

    ReplyDelete