Tuesday, July 13, 2010

checking in - part way there, good news thus far

Today I had my 9 months post-treatment CT scan...I've lost count of how many scans I have had, but I believe I carry enough radiation to power a mid-size city for a few weeks. I also had an exam by my oncologist and ENT (actually, my ENT's P.A., who seemed quite knowledgeable.)

Here's the good news...after being poked and prodded and had hands down my throat, the two physical exams both turned out great. NO signs of anything unusual, and my tonsils, throat, and neck seem to be all healing and happy and healthy. I have to wait on the CT scan results however, as the report wasn't yet done when I had the appointments with the docs. So I won't find out the scan results probably till Friday. I'm getting used to waiting, and I am not going to stress, but rather, just enjoy the positive comments I received regarding my recovery.

Here's the other thing about today. I really have come to appreciate human kindness and compassion in a new way. My oncologist has really been thoughtful and encouraging (and quite competent) every step of the way. While I've seen other competent doctors on this journey, they sometimes have lacked in the compassion/empathy/bedside manner that my oncologist has. It really makes an incredible difference. I told him how much I appreciate him today, because after my first PET scan came back with a "hot spot" in January, I kind of had a melt down in his office and told him I didn't think he was being straight with me when he was telling me not to worry. To his credit, he stayed calm, and again, re-assured me that he wouldn't tell me anything he didn't sincerely believe to be true. I love the guy!
Also, the woman who greets patients at the door of the cancer center of Methodist Hospital in Omaha and arranges valet parking for those too weak to make it from the parking lot to the entrance...Ethel is her name...just lit up when she saw me and gave me a big hug...I hadn't been up to the cancer center in three months, and she seemed genuinely happy to see me feeling well. She said she had a dream about me the other night. She greets hundreds of patients every day, but when she saw me she shouted "STEVE" and ran to embrace me. Then she gave me some more of her Ethel advice...(if you remember, I had a post during treatment about her telling me to "relax into this, hon" which for some reason really touched me.) This time, she told me that if I ever get sick again, to "make sure I don't let what's going on inside my body mess up what's goin on inside my head, cause if my head stays happy, my body's goin to get well much quicker." She's great.

I'm having a good day. And I am ready for more good news come Friday. (I'll even accept having to wait till Monday, just in case the phone doesn't ring on Friday.)

There's so much in the course of a day to thank God for...if I could only remember to just keep my head happy!

1 comment:

  1. Great to read about the initial good report. We are praying that the Friday (or Monday) report follows suit.

    ReplyDelete