Monday, March 22, 2010

Lessons learned - Go to the grocery store, stock up on necessities, like bananas.

The lesson here...Steven, stop taking everything so seriously...I hope you all had a brief moment of wondering what in the world I was getting at with the title of this post...the title of this post means nothing at all; it was just something I overheard...I enjoy hearing short phrases out of context. Always have. When I was scared and weak, everything seemed so serious. I wasn't hearing anything that wasn't serious. I suppose when one is scared and weak, everything does seem serious. If I get scared and weak again, I probably will think the same exact thing. The truth is, everything is not so serious... I'm not so scared and not so weak today, and it sure helps to lighten up sometimes. The capacity to smile and laugh is a wonderful thing.

I write this as a note to myself...it seems a bit callous, but if we take ourselves too seriously, it can become a very prideful thing...and we become very self-absorbed. Boy, was I. There was no joy in Mudville.

It's so much more winsome to be of good cheer!

It's OK to smile...and to find lots of things to smile about.

My favorite first line of a novel? Here it is:

"In watermelon sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." Richard Brautigan

I like that line so much...it always makes me smile...I read that line 37 years ago and still remember it. I've never had the slightest clue as to what it meant. That's part of why I like it so much. It just makes me smile.

2 comments:

  1. It's probably no accident that the "fear face" grimace is a muscle flex or two away from the smile. I wish you constant opportunities to smile. Got a great one the other day--two kids at the back of the bus waving at strangers, just to see if anyone would respond. We waved...we nodded... we saluted... and I smiled...as I continue to smile whenever I remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the playfulness and wisdom in your post... what a sweet gem to add to an altogether beautiful Spring day!

    ReplyDelete