Tuesday, February 16, 2010

checking in - Good news for a Tuesday afternoon!!!

Tuesday afternoon,
I'm just beginning to see, now I'm on my way
It doesn't matter to me, chasing the clouds away.

The Moody Blues

Hey, Hey...I just returned from my CT scan, and the results were good...no indication of cancer...the physical exam, which included putting a tube with a flashlight on the end down my nose to look at the tonsil, also did not show any signs of tumor...I am quite relieved, to say the least...and the lymph node appears to be cancer free as well. Happy day.

Of course, the ENT still wants to follow me closely, and a follow-up exam is scheduled in 2 months, and then every 3 months for a few years...but for now...the news is good, and it is quite possible that the abnormal PET scan a month ago was a false positive.
If I begin having symptoms...persistent sore throat, coughing up blood, etc. then it's right back for more exams and scans, but as long as i remain symptom free, and the clinical exams by the ENT remain good, there will not be a need for further scans.

On top of that, I had the feeding tube removed...I haven't used it in over a month, and now that it looks like there will not be any surgery, at least in the near future, if not forever, there was no need to leave it in. Let me give you an idea of how these doctors remove a surgically implanted feeding tube from one's stomach. First, the ENT leaves the room and sends in his resident to do the job. Then, the resident asked me to lift my shirt. I quickly noticed there was no anesthetic or mention of putting me out for the removal procedure. Instead, he asked me this question..."Are you ready?" I gave a weak "I guess" for an answer, and he proceeded to grab the tube, and with one mighty yank...

Yeeoooowwwwwwww! A piece of rubber about the size of a hockey puck passed through an opening a little smaller than the width of a pencil eraser. Then, while my stomach still felt like something from the movie "Alien" just happened, he asked me if I would like to keep the tube as a souvenir. I gave a similar response to him as I did to the tech who asked me if I would like to keep the molded mask made for my radiation treatment.

But...I am feeling very good about the results of the visit, and getting rid of that awful tube that I've been wearing around for the last 7 months.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR PRAYERS AND YOUR KIND THOUGHTS AND WELL WISHES...I CAN NEVER EXPRESS ENOUGH MY HEART FELT GRATITUDE FOR YOU MY FRIENDS. GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

AND PRAISE GOD , PRAISE GOD, PRAISE GOD...HEALER OF MY SOUL AS WELL AS BODY...I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN, LORD... IN YOU I TRUST...YOUR LOVE IS BETTER THAN LIFE...

I may be cured, I may yet relapse...but I am going to strive to receive each day as a gift and at least in my very small circle of influence, try to return the blessing each day somehow in some way.


Peace

14 comments:

  1. Steve, I am exceedingly happy for you!! Great news!! Enjoy the day!! As far as your goal at the end of your blog. I would say you have more than achieved that by your sharing with all of us. You are a blessing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God! I remembered that today was the day and prayed for you this morning. Amazing how God can take the struggle that you have endured and use that to remind others of His love and faithfulness! God bless you! May you continue to grow stronger and stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    (RE: The resident - lemme at him. 5 minutes. That's all I need. The grimy little bastard!).

    That said, for you and everything else - HALLELUJAH!!! Praise be to our Risen LORD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that news makes my entire week! Hip hip hooray! Pressing onwards and upwards now.When you figure out a food that sounds good and is perhaps labor intensive, I would love to bring it to you. Seriously,man.Love to your whole relieved family, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news!! Praise God.

    And on the plus side...that little "procedure" of the resident yanking out the tube probably didn't cost as much. :/

    His steadfast love endures forever.
    Grateful to him for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve what great news!...congrats buddy, and long may you run!..the reference to the moodies reminds me of first time i heard that album in your old wantagh house (wilmarth?)...very trippy sound back then, and more meaningful now in view of your newly parted clouds...best of all from now forward...Bruce G.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!!! Can I also sing refrains from the Hallelujah choris? Prayer is powerful. What awesome news Steve! I was excited to log on and see, and I sure wasn't disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve, hooray and hallelujah! Thanks for the joyful news. God bless you every minute of every day.--Peg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fr. Thomas Leitner, OSBFebruary 19, 2010 at 8:43 PM

    Steve, this is great to hear/read!! I will help you thank God that the cancer is defeated, at least for now. In connectedness,

    Fr. Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  10. :)
    wow, what a blessing. this is such happy news, Steve. Amazing grace.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  11. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy (and gal). I am so relieved to see your good news. I had it in my head that this coming Tues. was your day to find out. What a surprise and delight to feel God's power streaming from you. Much love to you both, Auntie Kay
    P.S. thanks for the video of Miss Capuchin. That was the cutest thing I have ever seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are so very, very thankful and raise our voice with yours in praise!
    Psalm 91
    M & M

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yippee! That is such great news, Steve. I forgot to tell you I would be out of town all last week; I was thinking of you and praying for the best. What great news. Sorry about the tube though. Wow. Guess he's not been on the receiving end.
    Good, good news. Thanks for the update and sharing your journey.
    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete